Friday, April 26, 2013

Show Me The Money!

Why are online classes so much more expensive than traditional ones? 


         Online systems have drastically changed the experience of higher education. Unfortunately  they have also had a significant impact on our wallets as well. For instance, my online classes this semester average around 100-150 dollars more expensive than my in-class courses. How can this be if I am utilizing my own computer and don't take up the space in the facility? We hear so often that reasons behind course management system’s success are due to its effectiveness and immediacy that help educators interact with their students in a cost-effective manner. Yet, with the high prices of these classes we as student question the value of the course itself. If I am paying all of this money, I hope I am receiving equal, if not better quality of education than if I were to pay less and profit from face to face interaction as well. Often times, students who are taking online courses are those that need the extra time to work full-time. The extra cost of these online classes is counterproductive to their progress.  I took two of my courses online this semester due to scheduling. I am taking a total of nineteen credit hours, work two jobs and have an internship as well. I barely have time to sleep and eat let alone create a perfect schedule allowing time slots for every class I take. In this regard, I do believe the extra cost of the classes was worth it. However, I do believe it is important to explore other options.


         Do these high-class prices have more to do with the Blackboard system or the higher-education system itself? The answer is the higher-education system such as Florida State University. It cost the university extra money to create a class online. There are a myriad of different services that both the teacher and student are required to accommodate for. Most of these problems stem from software. If there are technical issues, tech support is available to both teacher and student, but at a price. Travis Johnson of the Minnesota State College Students Association states that even though online classes "create more flexibility  the increased cost is an offsetting barrier. That's just really a concern to us. There's campuses that dont even charge a difference, and then there's some that charge a lot more." Apparently the actual process of putting up a class online presents more difficulties than you would imagine. This affords faculty a pay increase as well. It is disheartening for students as well since most of the time, the materials needed are available online too, so the cost of the textbook isn't even a factor.






No comments:

Post a Comment